Peer-Reviewed Literature (Cancer)
Cancers Impact on Hispanics/Latinos
- Cancer-related risk factors and preventive measures in US Hispanics/Latinos. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. (Sept 2012).
- Cancer Incidence in First Generation US Hispanics. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. (Jun 2009).
- Health Disparities in the Latino Population. American Journal of Epidemiology. (Jul 2009).
- Communicating with Daughters About Familial Risk of Breast Cancer: Individual, Family, and Provider Influences on Women's Knowledge of Cancer Risk. Journal of Women's Health. (Jan 2018).
- Mammography use among women aged 18-39 years in the United States. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. (Dec 2017).
- Survival of patients with de-novo metastatic breast cancer: analysis of data from a large breast cancer-specific private practice, a university-based cancer center and review of the literature. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. (Sep 2015).
- Annual Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, 1975–2011, Featuring Incidence of Breast Cancer Subtypes by Race/Ethnicity, Poverty, and State. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Mar 2015).
- Breast-cancer risk in families with mutations in PALB2. The New England Journal of Medicine. (Aug 2014).
- A Social Media Approach to Inform Youth About Breast Cancer and Smoking: an Exploratory Descriptive Study. Collegian. (2014).
- US Incidence of Breast Cancer Subtypes Defined by Joint Hormone Receptor and HER2 Status. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Feb 2014).
- Heterogeneity of breast cancer subtypes and survival among Hispanic women with invasive breast cancer in California. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. (Feb 2014).
- Breast Cancer Statistics. Breast Cancer Metastasis and Drug Resistance. (Jul 2013).
- Genetic ancestry modifies the association between genetic risk variants and breast cancer risk among Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women. Carcinogenesis. (Apr 2013).
- Alcohol intake between menarche and first pregnancy: a prospective study of breast cancer risk. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Mar 2013).
- Differences between Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women with breast cancer for clinical characteristics and their correlates. Annals of Epidemiology. (Jan 2013).
- Incidence of Breast Cancer With Distant Involvement Among Women in the United States, 1976 to 2009. Journal of the American Medical Association. (Feb 2013).
- A review of body size and breast cancer risk in Hispanic and African American women. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. (Dec 2011).
- Underutilization of BRCA1/2 testing: Black and Hispanic women particularly at risk. Genetics in Medicine. (Feb 2011).
- A Pilot Study of Knowledge and Interest of Genetic Counseling and Testing for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome Among Puerto Rican Women. Vadaparampil ST, Quinn GP, et al. (Dec 2011).
- Identification of the prevalent BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in the female population of Puerto Rico. Dutil J, Colon-Colon JL, et al. Cancer Genet. (May 2012).
- Trends in Breast Cancer by Race and Ethnicity: Update 2006. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. (May 2006).
- Ethnicity and Breast Cancer: Factors Influencing Differences in Incidence and Outcome. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Mar 2005).
- Study Shows Experimental Screening Test Can Detect Endometrial and Ovarian Cancers. National Cancer Institute. (May 2018).
- Geographic Factors and Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination Initiation Among Adolescent Girls in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. (Jan 2016).
- Human Papillomavirus Testing in the Prevention of Cervical Cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Dec 2010).
- Identifying the Mechanism in Obesity's Link to Colon Cancer. Science Daily. (April 2018).
- Colorectal cancer statistics, 2017. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. (Feb 2017).
- Colorectal Cancer Incidence Patterns in the United States, 1974–2013. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Feb 2017).
- Colorectal cancer screening: Estimated future colonoscopy need and current volume and capacity. Cancer. (May 2016).
- New York Citywide Colon Cancer Control Coalition: A public health effort to increase colon cancer screening and address health disparities. Cancer. (Nov 2015).
- Against Colorectal Cancer in Our Neighborhoods, a Community-Based Colorectal Cancer Screening Program Targeting Low-Income Hispanics Program Development and Costs. Shokar NK, Byrd T, et al. (Sept 2015)
- Promotion and Provision of Colorectal Cancer Screening: A Comparison of Colorectal Cancer Control Program Grantees and Nongrantees 2011-2012. Maxwell AE, Hannon PA, et al. (Oct 2014).
- Challenges and possible solutions to colorectal cancer screening for the underserved. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Apr 2014).
- Patient Navigation in a Colorectal Cancer Screening Program. Journal of Public Health Management Practice. (2014).
- Can Cologuard Improve Cancer Screening Rates? Medscape. (2014).
- Colorectal Cancer in Hispanics: a population at risk. American Journal of Clinical Oncology. (2006).
- Biases in Recommendations for and Acceptance of Prostate Biopsy Significantly Affect Assessment of Prostate Cancer Risk Factors: Results From Two Large Randomized Clinical Trials. Journal of Clinical Oncology. (Dec 2016).
Exercise and Cancer Prevention
- Sedentary behavior increases the risk of certain cancers. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Jul 2014).
- An active lifestyle for cancer prevention. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Jun 2014).
- Prevalence of Sun Protection Use and Sunburn and Association of Demographic and Behavioral Characteristics with Sunburn. JAMA Dermatology (Mar 2018).
Indoor Tanning, even without burning, increases the risk of melanoma. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. (Jul 2014).
- A Cautionary Note on Melanoma Screening in the Hispanic/Latino Population. Jaimes N, Oliveria S, and Halpern A, JAMA Dermatology 149, no. 4. (April 1, 2013).
- Increasing Melanoma Screening Among Hispanic/Latino Americans: A Community-Based Educational Intervention. Chung, Grace Y., Gina Brown, and Desmond Gibson, Health Education & Behavior. (April 4, 2015)
Other- Cancer Related Topics
- Use of Community Health Workers and Patient Navigators to Improve Cancer Outcomes Among Patients Served by Federally Qualified Health Centers: A Systematic Literature Review. Health Equity. (Mar 2018).
Histologic Lung Cancer Incidence Rates and Trends vary by Race/Ethnicity and Residential County. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. (Jan 2018).
- Cancer Care Gets Personal. How Tumor Treatments Are Changing. NIH News in Health. (Jan 2018).
- Cancer Incidence in Appalachia, 2004 - 2011. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. (Jan 2016).
- Advancing Health Equity in Cancer Survivorship: Opportunities for Public Health. American Journal of Preventative Medicine. (Dec 2015).
- Costs of Chronic Diseases at the State Level: The Chronic Disease Cost Calculator. Preventing Chronic Disease. (Sep 2015).
- Recruiting and Surveying Catholic Parishes for Cancer Control Initiatives Lessons Learned From the CRUZA Implementation Study Allen JD, Tom LS, et al. (Sep 2015).
- Enhancing Oncology Health Care Provider’s Sensitivity to Cultural Communication to Reduce Cancer Disparities: A Pilot Study. Quinn GP, Jiménez J, et al; J Cancer Educ. (June 2011).
- Impact of State-Specific Medicaid Reimbursement and Eligibility Policies on Receipt of Cancer Screening. Cancer. (2014).